Tuesday, January 18, 2011

NANO reflections!


We are in the age of Nanotechnology.  The catchword seems to be “the smaller the better”. The past 20 years have seen maximum advancement in the field of technology as never before in the past.  But the experts say we're no longer in the technology revolution, but in the technology evolution. The trend is to make everything we use shrink. We have gadgets like cell phones, laptops, and MP3 players getting smaller and smaller, yet doing much more.   I remember the first time I ever saw a computer.  It was way back in 1991 as a class V student and that too because I was fortunate enough. I say fortunate because my father was working as a peon in the Union Bank and that year they had procured this “new gadget” in the bank.  I still remember the owe and the wonder with which I witnessed this great thing.  I remember that it occupied the whole space on the table.  It was quite huge in size with a fat monitor and a big CPU.  In 20 years things have changed drastically and there is no more that old and heavy desktop computers which have been very well replaced by the latest thin and smart Mac books and notebooks, or the palmtops and iPads, one still better than the other! The smaller the gadget, the greater the demand. 

Gone are the days of those old music discs which were replaced by the audio cassettes which gave way to the CD ROMs and then the Mp3 players, Blue ray discs and iPods and what not? Always becoming smaller and smaller.

I can go on and on with this list.

But there is only one thing that doesn't want to follow this trend. While I want everything else smaller and smaller, I don't want to become small in front of anyone.  My constant tension always is to appear big in front of others.  That's why John the Baptist quite fascinates me. He says "I must decrease and He must increase". What is this logic? And Jesus would still radicalize it when he says, "Blessed are the humble, for they shall inherit the earth".  Oh so that is the point! I think even Jesus also shows me the same thing. St. Paul summarized it so beautifully when he said, Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross (Phil. 2: 5-9).  I wish if I had a little share of the spirit of Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment